Withdrawing from the University

Modified on Thu, 15 Jun 2023 at 03:16 PM

Prior to the First Day  of Class - Dropping all classes

PRIOR to the first day of class, a student may drop all classes through the normal registration add/drop process. On and after that first day of class, students may no longer use that and will need to submit an official withdrawal request through the "My Record" tab in Howdy.

Withdrawing On or After the First Day of Class

ON or AFTER the first day of classes, students who plan to drop all in-progress courses and courses he or she has not started yet will be required to submit an official withdrawal from the university through the Howdy portal.

The request is then routed to the student’s Dean or designee for approval. 

A student may not initiate a withdrawal after the Q-drop period ends (see Q-drop periods). However, the student’s Dean or designee may, in certain circumstances, initiate a request to the registrar to withdraw a student after the deadline. 

Failure to complete the withdrawal process will result in forfeiture of any tuition and fee adjustments, and course work may be recorded as incomplete or failed.

Failure to follow procedures for withdrawing from the University may result in financial penalties and delays with future enrollment in the University. 

Once a student registers, he or she is responsible for the total fees assessed regardless of whether the installment option is used. 

Refund percentages are applied to total fees assessed, not to the amount paid. This means that students who withdraw before paying all installments may, in the event of withdrawal, still owe the University.

International Students 

International students must go by the International Student Services Office before withdrawing to determine if doing so will affect their visa status.

Financial Aid Recipients 

If you are receiving financial aid, you should talk to a Financial Aid Counselor before withdrawing. Students receiving funds awarded by Scholarships and Financial Aid should be aware of policies regarding withdrawal from the University. These policies are consistent with Federal regulation. 

Calculation of tuition and fee refunds due to withdrawal are based on all charges the University has assessed the student. When a student has elected various optional services charged to their fee statement, the total dollar value of these optional services will also be used to determine whether repayment of any grant or Federal Perkins Loan will be required. Federal regulations require a pro-rata refund calculation for all first-time students who choose to withdraw during a semester (if these students are receiving  Title IV and certain state student aid at an institution of higher education.)

The length of time during which a refund must be calculated is up to 60% of the payment period. First-time students include freshmen and transfers.

Tuition and fee adjustments shall be made to students officially withdrawing from the University for charges listed below according to the following refund schedule:

Tuition Required Fees

Withdrawal Percentage Information for Current Term  (per Texas Education Code 54.006)

It may take up to 30 days for all adjustments to be made to your student account. Pay remaining balances though Howdy to avoid registration and transcript holds.

Also, be sure to check MyAggieLoans for any outstanding institutional loans owed to the university.

To receive a refund on any eligible credits, be sure to update your direct deposit information with Flywire. Visit Student Refunds for more information.

Withdrawal Due to Call-Up to Active Military Duty Click "HERE"

HSC Leave of Absence requests, please contact the Dean of your program. You may also click HERE for access to the student handbook for additional information.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article